So, what do you do in Las Vegas when you don’t drink, gamble or party? My husband and I aren’t the “partying type of folks,” so people are usually curious why we would want to go to Sin City. Despite some of the things that aren’t so great about Las Vegas (the smell of smoke covered by the casinos pumping perfume, the men handing out flyers that read “GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS in 15 minutes” and some of the inebriated folks) it actually is a pretty fun town to spend a couple of days in.
A week ago my husband and I went to Vegas for one night since we live in Los Angeles it is a fairly quick drive (4 hours). While I was driving I wanted to share with you guys what my husband and I do when we go to Vegas.
Below are some of my recommendations of things we like to do when we are only there for a day and don’t drink, gamble, or party!
Also, check out my vlog of our mini trip to Vegas.
1) See a Show
From Cirque du Soleil, Magic Shows, and Big Headliners like Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, and Celine Dion, Vegas has so much to offer each night!
This is my number one thing I love to do when I go to Vegas! It’s exciting to have a night event where you can get dolled up and enter into another world for a couple of hours. Below are some of my favorite shows and a link that has a list of all Vegas shows.
- O | Cirque du Soleil | at the Belliago https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/o/default.asp
- KA | Cirque du Soleil | at MGM Grand https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/ka/default.aspx
- ZARKANA | Cirque du Soleil | at Aria https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/zarkana/default.aspx
- MYSTERE | Cirque du Soleil | at Treasure Island https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/mystere/default.aspx
2) Walk the Strip or some of it (via outside or inside)! (free)
This is probably one of my favorite things to do when we go to Las Vegas. My husband and I don’t walk the entire strip (I’ve done it once) but we walk a good portion of it. We love walking through the casinos, the shops, and just taking it all in. Got to love those fake blue skies!
PS: Ladies, I know you want to look cute and all but there is a lot of walking in Vegas! Wear comfy shoes during the day!
3) See and Take Your Photo at the Famous “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada Sign”(free)
I have been to Vegas countless times but it wasn’t until our last visit that I finally made it to the Welcome Las Vegas sign! Be sure to get there early because there is a line to take pictures. Also, the sign is located on the South Side of the Strip ( pass the Luxor and Mandalay Bay) there is parking in the median of the road.
4) Visit the Neon Museum Boneyard
I personally haven’t been yet, but it is on my list of things to do next time I go to Vegas. Basically it’s a one hour guided tour of Vintage iconic Las Vegas Signs. If you are into Vegas history and want to see cool vintage signs this is definitely the museum for you!
Make sure to purchase your tickets at least 5 days in advance, they sell out quickly! Trust me, I learned my lesson!
5) Watch the Belliago Fountains Show (free)
It’s always fun to stand right in front of the Belliago and watch the fountains dance and whimsically move to classical or Broadway tunes. The shows are every 15 to 30 minutes pending on the weekday.
For more details and times check out their site:
6) Watch the Moving Statues Show at Caesars Palace (free)
Now, when I was a little girl and my parents took me to Vegas this was one of my favorite things to see. However, last week when I was there the original moving statues have been removed. I was so sad, childhood memories gone! However, there is a new show located in the Forum Shops called the Fall of the Atlantis.
Original Moving Statues Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FznMujKxGqw
7) Visit the Belliago Conservatory & Botanical Gardens (free)
Stroll through gorgeous arrangements of plants and flowers. It is truly amazing how beautiful it is. I also love how the displays reflect the season. A must see!
8) Watch the Volcano Erupt at the Mirage
If you decide to walk some of the strip at night this is a great outdoor show to see. I believe every hour on the hour the Mirage puts on a show where their volcano erupts with flames while being in synced with wild noises and Polynesian drum sounds.
9) Go for a ride… if you like roller coasters
If you like theme parks or thrill rides, below are some of the casinos/hotels that have them!
- Circus Circus – Adventuredome Indoor Theme Park http://www.adventuredome.com
- New York New York – The Big Apple Coaster https://www.newyorknewyork.com/attractions/the-roller-coaster.aspx
- Stratosphere Tower Thrill Rides http://www.stratospherehotel.com/Activities/Thrill-Rides
- Random: Does anyone remember the theme park at MGM Grand or the Nile ride at the Luxor? They aren’t there anymore but when I was a kid I went on them.
10) Take in the View
Below are a couple of places that have great views of the strip.
- Stratosphere Tower Observation Deck http://www.stratospherehotel.com/Activities/Observation-deck
- Paris Hotel – Eiffel Tower Experience https://www.caesars.com/paris-las-vegas/things-to-do/eiffel-tower#.VW_8W0KT26I
Lastly, there are tons of art galleries, restaurants, pools & spas, stores, and some aquariums and gardens. Here are just a few more attractions:
- Check out the The Wildlife Habitat at the Flamingo to see real Flamingos for free!
- Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay
- Siegfried & Roy’s Secret Garden and Dolphin Habitat
- Take a gondola ride at the Venetian
- Madame Tussauds Wax Museum at the Venetian
What do you like to do when you go to Las Vegas??