Breakfast usually sets the trajectory on how you will eat throughout the day. If you fill up on greens, good fats, and protein you usually are less likely to overeat throughout the day. I also just feel better when I start my day with something that is filled with greens, probiotics, and other goodies for my body!
I love this healthy and easy smoothie because on most busy mornings I don’t have time to make a gourmet breakfast. I need something quick, healthy, and nourishing. Below is my breakfast smoothie recipe that I literally have almost every morning before I’m off to work!
So what’s in the smoothie?
1) Kefir – It is a drinkable yogurt (a sour-tasting drink make from cow’s milk fermented with certain bacteria) that is loaded with probiotics which are great for gut health. It also has a good amount a protein in it too!
Tip: Look for organic brands that list all the probiotics on it and try to go with plain as opposed to flavored varieties (way less sugar in the plain versions).
2) Apple Juice (not from concentrate) – this a great sweetener and apple juice is also good for your immunity, constipation, and some cancers.
3) Avocado – Filled with healthy fats, lowers risk of heart disease, high in essential vitamins and minerals.
4) Cucumber – Helps manage stress, supports the digestive system, and fights inflammation and more!
5) Kale – High in Vitamins, anti-inflammatory, great for overall health!
6) Frozen Mixed Berries – filled with antioxidants and great for weight loss!
7) Frozen Banana – filled with potassium, helps digestion, protects against muscle cramps, and much more!
Below you will find the recipe on how to make my Green Breakfast Smoothie!
1 Cup of organic Kefir
1/2 Cup of organic Apple Juice not from Concentrate
1 Heaping handful of organic Kale
1/4 of a whole organic cucumber (with skin)
1 Avocado ( I like chilled avocados, so I put them in the night before)
1/2 Frozen Banana
1 Heaping Cup of organic Frozen Mixed Berries (My favorite blend is strawberries, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, and pomegranate seeds)
Optional Add Ons:
1 Tablespoon of Maca Powder
1 Tablespoon of Chia Seeds
1 Tablespoon of Flax seed oil
1 Tablespoon of Gelatin
1-2 Tablespoons of your favorite Protein Powder
Place all of the ingredients into your blender and blend for 1-3 minutes on high, pending your blender. I use a Vitamix, so I just use the smoothie preset button, super easy!
The blender I have : Vitamix 6300 – http://amzn.to/1HM6dYg